The State of MMOs

• Lunar Engine v0.15 is out now! Download and check it out here

John

Owner
Owner
Head Developer
Jun 1, 2012
www.rpgorigin.com
I think it's pretty evident that the early 00s were a golden age for MMORPGs, and we've certainly departed from that in more recent years. What do ya'll think has been the reason for this? I personally believe there's still massive potential for these types of games, but there really needs to be better attempts to reach the mobile market while not sacrificing game integrity to runoff micro transactions and artificial play barriers like daily lockouts (which are usually bypassed by, you guessed it, microtransactions).

I also think better attempts need to be made at crafting living, breathing worlds. With the rose tinted glasses of MMORPGs being technical feats to be marveled at having faded, there's no room nor excuse for run-of-the-mill fetch quests and cookie-cutter content. People want to escape; they want their video game to be an experience, and you need to craft a world which feels inclusive to them in order to capture that.

In any case, I'm interested to hear other people's takes. Were MMOs just a fad like the now ever so popular Battle Royale and survival games, or could we be seeing a resurgence of the genre in the coming years?