FADE Online

• Lunar Engine v0.2.6 is out now! Download and check it out here. The map editor is also now fixed!

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
Yupp, I'm still workin' on this. Underwent massive work, numerous restarts on the in game content, but I've laid out a solid plan for actually getting this done, now.

Not much for maps done as of right now, so I see no point in posting screenshots atm.

I'm looking for people to help me map out the ingame world, based on a guide from a world map that Max/Egon drew up for me. It's 194 maps and each map has to be a certain size.

However, when doing something to make linking the maps go faster, I broke the map properties window. Lol. Should be an easy fix, I just need to stop being lazy and get in the zone for it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mrperfekt.com/fadeonline">http://www.mrperfekt.com/fadeonline</a><!-- m -->

Feel free to join the forums. If you're interested in helping out, let me know!

Starting town (Un Named, plan to let players vote on the name):

World map:

Starting area mapping grid:

William

Veteran
Veteran
May 29, 2006
www.key2heaven.net
Gold
Oh dear god. I thought the entire world was going to be 194 maps. But thats only the starting area, thats enormous.

How would it work if someone was going to map for you. Whats the minimum amount of maps the person would have to make to be allowed to map on your game?

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
At this point, any. Lol. I'm just laying the base things, like grass in the green areas, no trees or anything yet. No cliffs, mountains. Most detail used is in the coastal maps.

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
I dunno about publicly sharing it. Lol. But I can send you a PM with the link. You'll have to login so I can give you access, too.

JokeofWeek

Nov 19, 2006
codingcookies.com
Gold
You could always make some script to randomly generate at some basic wilderness maps for you? I think this would save you a ton of time, and depending on how much you work at the script, could produce awesome results. Procedurally generated content is suh-weet.

William

Veteran
Veteran
May 29, 2006
www.key2heaven.net
Gold
Thats a really good idea.

Button in mapeditor:
Code:
for x = 0 to MAX_MAPX
  for y = 0 to MAX_MAPY
    if randomnumber(1,10) = 1 then 
      Map(mapnum).Ground = 'put a selected bush tile here. 
    end if
  next y
next x
Code:
' Random Function
Public Function RandomNumber(ByVal LowerBound As Variant, ByVal UpperBound As Variant) As Single
Randomize Timer
RandomNumber = Int((UpperBound - LowerBound + 1) * Rnd + LowerBound)
End Function
Something simple like that could work.

On another note, it's pretty hard to help with the mapping when I dont know the sizes of the maps. Are all going to have the same size as the first town map?

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
When you open the map properties, just click the Size button next to where you set the max x and y of the map. ;)

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
JokeofWeek said:
You could always make some script to randomly generate at some basic wilderness maps for you? I think this would save you a ton of time, and depending on how much you work at the script, could produce awesome results. Procedurally generated content is suh-weet.
It would work for some maps, but not all. I want it exactly like it is on the world map. That's what makes it a pain in the ass. Lol.

JokeofWeek

Nov 19, 2006
codingcookies.com
Gold
Well, since Mirage had more or less dissappeared I had gotten into the roguelike development world, where procedural generation is almost always used.

This is a great starting point: Procedural Content Generation Wiki

Although the game won't be using procedural generation in the traditional sense (regenerated each time), almost all the techniques can still be used. The RogueBasin wiki has a ton of awesome tutorials on doing things like generating caves, wilderness, etc.

Automated mapping ftw <3

You could set some particular constraints for certain map types. At the very least, it would avoid you having to do the tedious work like placing trees.

Perfekt

Veteran
Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Gold
I don't mind placing trees and shit. After I get the base maps laid out, I'll actually enjoy the mapping. Lol.