[Dev Log] Mirage Web Engine SP version ac-0.1.7

• Lunar Engine v0.2.6 is out now! Download and check it out here. The map editor is also now fixed!

Rian

Legend
Legend
May 29, 2006
Gold
Version ac-0.1.7 Introduces two commands for saving the gameWorld state.

/savemaps Will save the maps object as a downloadable file, WorldMaps.json
/savenpcs Will save the npcs object as a downloadable file, WorldNpcs.json

Once downloaded, place these files into your projects "world" folder to be loaded into your gameWorld state to "Save" your development progress.

NOTE:
This is a pretty hacky way to save data! This update is mostly so I don't have to recreate maps and npcs every time I want to test something or need to refresh the browser. However, it might be the best solution for the time being -- until something better comes along that doesn't require a real database.

Click here to view commit difference.

Attachments

John

Owner
Owner
Head Developer
Jun 1, 2012
www.rpgorigin.com
Gold
Username Change
Have you looked into any NoSQL database solutions for the project? I worked with MongoDB a little bit in a brief previous JS project I did.

Rian

Legend
Legend
May 29, 2006
Gold
I have, and in the future I probably will. My only problem with going MongoDb is that I feel I might as well make it a full blown NodeJs project at that point and I'm trying to keep everything as noob friendly as I can.

Local browser storage is another solution, but players would lose their save data if they cleared their cookies. So that's a concern.

Then there's my gut saying just to sprinkle in a little php and mySql because that'd be the easiest solution regarding my own know-how.

John

Owner
Owner
Head Developer
Jun 1, 2012
www.rpgorigin.com
Gold
Username Change
Honestly, I don't think the PHP solution would be the worst option, especially if the scope of use is limited in that most of the software is obviously going to exist on the user's machine. Also, anyone hosting a project off of this is going to have access to a webserver running PHP. That might not be as much the case with Node.